Do you know that according to statistics, 70% of the people do not observe proper elevator etiquette? The number is really alarming, I could say, but I am really not surprised. I use the elevator a lot: at home, office and malls; that is why I have a couple of first hand experiences when it comes to poor elevator etiquette.
Please read along and hopefully practice them to avoid being part of the statistics.
- When waiting to board the lift, make sure to stay away from the entrance. A lot of people I see rush inside way before the passengers exit. This is not a parlor game, guys. Give space and peacefully enter when the coast is clear.
- If you are headed to the 2nd floor coming from the ground, take the stairs! A lot of people think this is cool. But fact is, it is actually very irritating and can cause delay to people.
- Do not hold the door for a company that is not ready to enter the lift. Rule of thumb is, if the person will be delayed for more than 2 seconds, leave the person! Do not worry, there will be another lift to transport your friend.
- Refrain from using your mobile units inside the lift. Well, unless it is a matter of life and death, wait until you leave. You can always call the person back, for sure.
- If you happen to be standing immediately in front of the buttons, be courteous to press the floors for them. A lot of people make unnecessary faces when being asked.
- Singing and dancing and loud talking are extremely unacceptable. Believe it or not, there a some people doing these inside the lift.
- Give way to people exiting the lift. If needed, move out to give more space.
- If a group of people is coming in, hold the elevator for them as courtesy.
- Never talk about people or gossip around. Remember, you do not know everyone inside the elevator. Be safe!
Looking at the tips we have, they seem to be easy, right? All it takes is a little bit of awareness and courtesy to everybody using the lift.