There is really no compromising when it comes to home safety. You cannot rush yourself or even take the short cut and expect a well-secured home before you leave. It takes a great deal of preparation and precautionary measures to ensure the safety of your houses against burglars. So, just before you make that final rush out of your house, you better think again and go back to the safety drawing board.
If you will be out for more than a day, locking the door is not enough. Instead, here are some tips to digest:
- It pays to be friendly to your neighbors. If you feel that you have that kind of relationship and you can trust your neighbors, ask them to check your house every now and then. You can also leave important messages to them if necessary.
- If you have a pet at home, never leave them alone. You have no idea how dogs or cats do when they are bored. The last thing you want to happen is to bother your neighbors while you are away. It's also not appealing to arrive from vacation knowing that a piece of your sofa was bitten.
- Before leaving your house, unplug all appliances. Or better yet, turn off the main electrical power to ensure safety. You can also do the same approach when it comes to your water source.
- Never leave messages on your door or even answering machines that you are out. Doing so will give information to strangers that nobody is home. If you live in a condominium, you can leave a message to your administrative office that you will be away. Thus, make sure that no delivery man or promo people insert anything in between your main door. Unclaimed letter or brochure is a giveaway that nobody is home.
- Double check all windows and any openings. Make sure that they are locked and closed properly.
- Optionally, if you can ask a friend or relative to stay home in your behalf while you are away is the best option. Hopefully, this person is somebody you fully trust.
To have a peace of mind while you are away on vacation, do not rush the precautionary measures you need to do for your home. The worst thing you can experience is to have a blissful vacation and realized your house was robbed.