No matter how technology has changed our lifestyle, there are some things in life that are meant to stay. And one of the things I am referring to is table etiquette. No matter what time of the days it is or no matter where you are, there is a universally accepted table etiquette we need to observe.
Here are some tips:
- Table Napkin - They are not substitute for a handkerchief. Never wipe your face using it nor your neck. The proper way of using it is to only blot your lips. If you need to use the powder room, neatly fold it and place it on the left side your table. Never leave it on your chair like most people do.
- Bread and Butter - Most fine dining offers bread while you wait for your meal. If the bread basket is placed nearest your side, offer it to everyone and you should be the last person to get. It is acceptable to use your clean hand when grabbing one. Place it on your bread saucer as you gently spread butter on it.
- Your First Course - What you need to use for your appetizers are the small forks located at the left side of the dinner fork. Do not inter-change them because it will really look odd and really embarrassing to use the small fork during the main meal.
- The Main Course - Depending on where you are, eating your main course ahead of everyone is rude. Make sure to wait for everyone to be served before even making that first bite. Remember to use your main fork and knife during the main course. Never ask for a spoon. This is just way too odd!
- Leftover Food - If you are hosting the dinner, it's okay to ask for the doggy-bag. However, even if you are not hosting and the host offered, you may do so. Politely ask the waiter to bag your left offer and thank him/her.
- Drinks - Your drink is always placed on the right side of your plate. It is never inter-changed whether you are left handed or not.
- Excusing Yourself - You don't have to declare where you are going. Politely ask yourself to be excused and fold your table napkin.
Now, do you think these tips are difficult to execute? Not, right? It is very important to display proper table etiquette no matter where you are. Proper table etiquette speaks a lot of who you are as a person.